Use full screen for better viewing.

Thumbnail Image
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
A Gallery of 49 Items - Mill evolution
>>>Item dates in the File Name, i.e., 1eg00gcm.jpg<<< -- >>>the number in the name (00) is the year of the postcard cancellation date . . . 1900.<<<>>>Contemporary items with (00) are the year 2000<<<
The Griswold Cotton Mill at Turners Falls and Colrain. Located 75 yards South of the Turners Falls Paper Company, the Griswold cotton mills had their origin at Colrain, where Joseph Griswold began business as long ago as 1832. In 1840 he incorporated his interests as the Griswold Manufacturing Company. His first mill burned down in 1856. In 1858 he built his next mill at Griswoldville, Colrain and called it the No.1 mill. In 1865 he took his two sons into partnership and began to build the No.2 mill at Willis Place, also in Colrain. It went into production in late 1867. In 1879 Griswold and sons established the mill at Turners Falls and incorporated the concern there as the Turners Falls Cotton Mills. He also constructed a brick apartment building directly across the canal on the east bank to accommodate 200 of his employees. The mills produce a great variety of light weight and fancy goods and run about 30,000 spindles and 700 looms, and employ nearly 500 hands. E. D. Griswold is president of both companies and his son F. D. Griswold is manager of the New York end of the business, at 51 Leonard Street. Joseph Griswold, at Turners Falls, is treasurer and Lorenzo Griswold, at Colrain, is agent and executive manager of both mills, assisted by his nephew, James C. Deane. Joseph Griswold was a native of Buckland, Mass., and was born on August 9, 1806. Griswold died in October of 1883 at age 77. Later uses for the complex had the Kendall Co. Manufacture it product from 1939 to c. 1948. The Rockdale Department Store — a Connecticut based business — occupied the space from 1953 to 1972. When Rockdale moved out the building was left empty for two years. The Railroad Salvage Company of Windsor, Connecticut utilized the building from 1974 to 1994. It remains today a hazard and in need of removal.