Village of Millers Falls

Second in size among Montague's five villages. First overture for Millers Falls' establishment was made in 1685.

Millers Falls

Located along the Mohawk Trail, Millers Falls was first established in 1824 as an agricultural community, named Grout's Corner after first settler Martin Grout (1790–1865).

In the 1860s, however, the local growth of railroads stimulated development, as the New London Northern Railroad bought the Amherst & Palmer railroad in 1864 and in 1866 extended its line to a connection with the Vermont & Massachusetts at Grout's Corner. With this new railroad juncture, the abundant water power of the falls of the Millers River at Grout's Corner provided a perfect place to establish mills. The village's present name derives from the Millers Falls Manufacturing Company (later the Millers Falls Company), established on the Millers River in 1868, and famed for its fine hand tools.
Source: Wikipedia

Read more about Millers Falls

Return to the Montague Historical Society Home Page


Collections in this Community

Now showing 1 - 4 of 4